R & D Formulator
The R & D Formulator is responsible for the physiochemical investigation of raw materials and formulations. The R & D Formulator is responsible for research and development of new products and materials to create the growth and improvement of chemical products for the company.
- Business Group / Dept: Chemical
- FLSA: Exempt
- Reports to: Director of Operations
Each quarter the Formulator will establish, with the Chemical Manager the specific results, improvements, or accomplishments required to support HCS and departmental objectives. These are expressed as ROCKS.
- Responsible for the management of SDS and labels for company products
- Writes/reviews lab procedures & specifications needed to support product development and testing
- Develop/perform all formulation requirements on new formulas; includes creation of theoretical formulation, bench mix development, product description/formulation sheet, lab tests, stability testing/monitoring, and color verification
- Documents test results, specification and final formula procedures in a standard format for inclusion in the Master File
- Conducts intellectual searches for technical information through a variety of resources, including the Internet
- Keeps abreast of current trends, practices, developments and regulatory changes, which would impact products, procedures, or formulation
- Evaluate new and alternative raw materials for functionality and stability
- Reformulate to improve existing products as needed
- Work in the field with the sales department on product testing
- Adhering to the highest level of safety and handling of chemicals
The intent of this position description is to guide the activities of the R & D Formulator. It is not the intent to limit the thinking and creativity of the person to the work of this function. Nor is it the intent to describe all the work that may be required of the person in this position.
Minimum undergraduate degree, preferably in physical chemistry, material science, chemistry or related industry.
Technical Experience: 1 year HPLC and mass spectrometer preferred
Industry Experience: 1 year preferred
- Extended hours in front of a computer screen.
- Repetitive Motions: Substantial movements (motions) of the arms, wrists, hands and/or fingers.
- Standing and sitting for long periods of time.
- Working around various smells and fumes (Environmental Condition)
- Must be able to distinguish between smells
- Manual dexterity
Technical Requirements (Specifically Related to this Position)
- Highly Organized: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details and activities.
- Communication: Demonstrate superior inter-personal skills, conflict resolution and negotiating skills. Ensures open communication across project teams. Defuses emotional charged situations. Promotes knowledge of team’s work to gain support for on-going and future initiatives.
- Decision Making: Asses situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and makes clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Computers & Software: Comfortable with computers and commonly used software (Microsoft Office, Google Applications).
- Write Effectively: Conveys information clearly and effectively through both formal and informal documents; reviews and edits written work constructively.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and the competencies required by persons assigned to this job. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions associated with this job. This job description is not an employment contract and Hydro-Chem Systems Inc. reserves the right to change this description at any time. Hydro-Chem Systems Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Competitive wage based on experience
- 401k match and section 125 plan (pre-tax dollars)
- Employee Stock Ownership
- Medical, Dental, Life, and Disability coverage
- Generous paid time off program
- Knows all HCS established operating systems (e.g. quality, safety, environmental). Understands the responsibility to maintain familiarity of the systems and this position’s role in support of these systems – including a consideration of the impact of individual actions on the systems and the responsibility to communicate concerns and improvement ideas.
Simple and innovative cleaning solutions to clean more in less time can be yours today.